Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Writer's Voice Contest #15 -- BROKEN EROS

Broken Eros
Young Adult Mythological Fiction 
78,500 words


Eros, the god of love, is supposed to save humanity from their loneliness and despair, however he is the one in need of saving.

After his love, Psyche, was taken from him by the hands of the mother he adores, Eros fled Mount Olympus and relinquished his duties, inevitably leading to the downfall of selfless and unconditional agape love. For 2,549 years, torn from his family and estranged from his mother, Aphrodite, Eros has lived amongst the lust and deceit of humans in an attempt to lose his identity completely.

Until the moment Mariposa, a descendant of Psyche, walks into his life.

When the destined pair is brought together, Eros finds himself whole again. But Aphrodite’s jealous heart leads her to interfere once more, setting Mariposa up to betray Eros. The pain of losing his one true love again forces him to escape back home to Mount Olympus, leaving Mariposa defenseless in the hands of the spiteful Aphrodite.

To fight for a chance to get Eros back, Mariposa becomes Aphrodite’s slave and is forced to endure excruciating tasks. But when she is sent down through the gates of the underworld she finds herself without hope of escaping and ever seeing Eros again. Eros must find a way to look past his broken heart and find her before she is eternally lost in his world’s darkest place. Bringing selfless love back to humanity must begin with his sacrifice.

Please enjoy the first 250 words of BROKEN EROS below:



BROKEN EROS


μέρα ρμου (Wednesday)
On my sixteenth birthday a celebration that was larger than life itself went on amongst my family. I was finally of age. Of my forever age. I was now able to live out my purpose on Earth; to serve others in ways that no being ever has before. It has been 3007 years since that birthday, to the day. And since then, my world has flipped completely upside down. What was once celebrated is now a tragedy. My family, who once found harmonious joy in my existence, now punishes me in ways that the human world is blind to. My purpose in this world has been lost in the depths of the darkness that encircles me. Every moment that I am awake I fall further and further away from anything I have ever known to be real. In the thousands of years since then, I have been running; trying to leave that former life behind me. However, every year on this day I am overtaken with the memories, the pain, the betrayal, and the loss. 
Buried deep in my black hoodie, I keep my head down as I walk up Main Street to the school I have been attending; shielding my eyes from the blinding sun that bounces off the frozen mist clinging to my face. My heavy charcoal boots crunch over the blanket of dried leaves that have long since made their transition from life giving luscious shades of green burning out in a blaze of glorious reds and oranges. 

37 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a torrid and exciting love story. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Good luck to you as well! I love your entry:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Crystal and Erin, I'm stopping by from the Writer's Voice Contest to wish you the best of luck! I'm following your blog now, so: nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking us out! nice to meet you as well and good luck in the contest!

      Delete
  3. Fellow Writers Voice entrant checking in - howdy!

    Nice! This sounds like a twisty, swoon-worthy mix of a plot. :) Good luck in the contest!

    - Becca C. (since I'm having problems with the ID)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Becca. Good luck to you as well! What a great thriller!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopped by to wish you luck and I'm leaving feeling terrible for Mariposa! Love your title!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck from TWV #30! Love me some Mythology!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My only son would love this, he is about to turn sixteen and is fascinated by mythology. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much! I love to hear that you think he would like it! Hopefully one day he will get to read it;)

      Delete
    2. :) I have no doubt that he will get to read it.

      As to what I think he would like, that is easy. He has had two girlfriends, into both of whom he has poured significant love and care – for some reason he seems drawn to troubled girls. On both occasions they have “betrayed him”, not in a sexual sense but by breaking up with him as soon as he has repaired them into a semblance of normalcy, and in both cases he has managed to overcome teen angst and re-establish friendships with them. Since Mariposa betrays Eros, yet Eros is the one who ends up reconciling with Mariposa I think he could easily identify with Eros (especially if Eros happens to wield a weapon in his quest).

      Delete
  8. Stopping by to say good luck in the contest! I really like your second paragraph - great description of your character!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on making the list, best of luck with your fantastic entry ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for the comment! Have a great day

      Delete
  10. Your narration has an almost poetic quality to it. I think that's fantastic, especially when combined with the Greek mythology. Once again, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Adam! It is so nice to know that others are reading it the way we intended. We love your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these types of stories! Good luck!!

    Entry #31

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mythology stories! Best of luck from a fellow contestant!

    Nikki (Entry #160)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice touch with the language shift and translation! It makes it feel authentic. :D

    Carrie (#162)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, I've always loved the story of Psyche and Eros! Your sort-of retelling sounds cool. Good luck with your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great retelling. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bringing mythology to present day - an interesting idea. I'm a mythology buff - sell me on it, baby. :)

    Good luck!

    Tina (#194)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the modern retelling of mythology.
    Best of luck!
    Carolyn, #157

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Eros/Psyche story! Good luck!

    Brandi #199

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandi! Number 199? phew! Glad you made it in

      Delete